National Legal Hotline

1300 636 846

7am to midnight, 7 days

Call our lawyers now or,
have our lawyers call you

Making a Will in Victoria

A will is a written document that sets out what will happen to your property when you die. Property can include real estate, vehicles, financial investments such as cash, superannuation and shares, personal belongings such as furniture and appliances, and sentimental objects such as jewellery, photographs, stamp albums and books. A will can also deal with other issues which do not involve property, such as organ donation, funeral arrangements and other wishes a person may have. This article deals with making a will in Victoria.

What is required when making a will in Victoria?

The  Wills Act 1997 sets out the main requirements for making a will in Victoria. The person who makes a will is known as a testator.

Making a will in Victoria requires the testator to be over the age of 18 and have the required mental capacity. If you are under 18 and married, you can also make a will. Wills must be in writing and must be witnessed by at least two people, who should also sign each page of the will using the same pen as you.

Making a will in Victoria that matches your intentions is not as easy as it sounds and may require very precise language. Wills no longer need to be registered in Victoria, so once you have one made, you should keep a copy in a secure place (for example, in a safety deposit box with a bank) and keep another copy with the solicitor who drafted it or the executor listed in the will. You can also deposit the will with the State Trustees.

Changing a will

A will may need to be changed for a number of reasons. Firstly, you may get married (or divorced) or have children. Under the Wills Act (Vic) 1997, these changes may have implications for the validity of your will. For example, a will is automatically cancelled upon marriage, with the exception of any gifts to the person to whom you are married. Upon divorce, the will may revoke any inheritance which may have gone to the former spouse as well as any power to execute the will, unless it is clear you did not wish for this to happen.

Secondly, you may inherit or receive a significant windfall that is not accounted for in your current will. Lastly, you may have a falling out with someone who is currently listed in your will, or who would expect to receive part of your estate under the Wills Act. In this case, it is very important to make sure that your will is up to date, otherwise, your assets may be distributed to someone you don’t wish to benefit.

Executors and administrators

When a person dies, the first thing that must happen is for the executor named in the will to bring an application for a grant of probate. Probate is the name of the court document which officially recognises the validity of the will and authorises the executor to begin to administer the estate.

The executor obtains probate by making an application to the Probate Office of the Supreme Court of Victoria. The executor is specifically named in the will and takes control over the property, holding it on trust until he or she distributes it to the person or people that you intend. For this reason, it is very important that you only choose someone that you trust completely for this task.

If a person has died without naming an executor, or the executor cannot act for some reason, the major beneficiary under the will can apply for letters of administration with the will annexed. They will then have the same power to dispose of the property as the executor.

Ways to distribute your property

There are a number of options available to testators when deciding how to distribute their property to beneficiaries when making a will in Victoria. If you have a special item that you wish to distribute to someone, or if you want to give someone a set amount of money, then that distribution is known as a specific gift under the will.

If you have a child under the age of 18 at the time you make the will, then any gift to him or she will not be received until they turn 18. You may wish to include in your will a testamentary trust for your child or for a spouse. This is where the property is put into a trust for the benefit of a person, without them receiving the property outright. You may wish to specify that the trustee of that trust (who may be the executor, or someone else) has the power to invest the money held in the trust, and distribute it on a regular basis.

Dying without a will

When a person has died without a will, they have died intestate. In cases like this, Division 6 of the Administration and Probate Act 1958 will apply.

The Act sets out certain rules regarding who is your next of kin and therefore who will obtain your property when you die. In this case, an administrator, who is ordinarily the next of kin, is appointed by the Supreme Court to manage your will in accordance with the relevant provisions of the Act.

If you require legal assistance with making a will in Victoria, or with any other legal matter, please contact Go To Court Lawyers. 


Michelle Makela

Michelle Makela is a Legal Practice Director at Go To Court Lawyers. She holds a Juris Doctor, a Bachelor of Science (Psychology) and a Master of Criminology. She was admitted to practice in 2006. Michelle has over 15 years experience in the legal industry, working across commercial litigation, criminal law, family law and estate planning. 

7am to midnight, 7 days

Call our lawyers NOW or, have our lawyers CALL YOU

1300 636 846
7am to midnight, 7 days
Call our Legal Hotline now